Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cream of Tomato Soup in veggie base

There are a couple of things my kids request me to make often. There are some common to both requests like pizza, noodles and pasta. And then there are individual requests. My younger one requested for 'Tomato Soup'. Her request went something like this "Mommy, can you make soup today for lunch? Make sure it is tomato soup". I had no choice but to make tomato soup, but I added quite a few veggies to make it Vegetable tomato soup. I almost didn't want to post this since I couldn't get a decent picture. It has been raining for the past two days here and not much sunlight.
One year back - Sourdough Biscuits
Two years back - Hyacinth beans stir fry/ Chapparadavarekayi palya
Ingredients:
Red Onion - 1 large chopped
Celery - chopped 3/4 cups (2 ribs approximately)
Carrots - 3 medium peeled and chopped
Potato - 1 medium peeled and chopped
Tomatoes - 1 28 Oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with juice (Or about 2 pounds of tomatoes blanched and skin peeled)
Garlic - 3 pods crushed
Evaporated milk - 14 Oz can or about 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
Water - 3 cups or as needed to get the desired consistency
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - 1 tsp - 2 tsp crushed or to taste
Olive oil - 2 TBSP
Sugar - 1 TBSP or as per taste (optional)

Method:
Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add garlic followed by onion. Stir and add a little bit of salt and let it wilt. When onions are half done, add celery, carrots, potatoes. Add about 2 cups of water and let all the vegetables become soft. Add the contents of the peeled tomatoes, sugar, black pepper. Let it all come to a simmer. You can crush the tomatoes with the back of the ladle to disperse them. When the mixture comes to a simmer, turn off the heat. When it is cool enough to handle, take the contents in a blender in batches and puree them. Transfer back to the pot and add the evaporated milk, 1 more cup of water and bring it to a slow boil. Adjust the salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot, warm with some sour cream on top if desired.

Enjoy.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Nice combo of soup. I too have posted with the base of tomato

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your daughter requested something healthy. Mine always wants something sugary or pizza or PBJ. The soup is creamy. Will remember the next time I make soup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the soup. I love to sneak in veggies too.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.